17 Wing Badge
For Royal Canadian Air Force personnel, all roads will lead to 17 Wing Winnipeg. The Wing - comprised of squadrons, training schools and command elements, turn out what are considered some of the best multi-skilled personnel in the world.
17 Wing is a composite formation conducting and supporting flying operations and a variety of training and command functions. The Wing also supports 113 units stretching from Thunder Bay, Ontario, to the Saskatchewan/Alberta Border and from the 49th Parallel to the high Arctic.
Squadrons & Detachments
- 402 "City of Winnipeg" Squadron fly the Canadian designed and produced de Havilland Canada CT-142 Dash 8 trainer in support of 1 Canadian Forces Flying Training Schools Air Combat Systems Officer and Airborne Electronic Sensor Operator training programs.
- 435 "Chinthe" Transport and Rescue Squadron fly the Lockheed CC-130 Hercules tanker/transport in the airlift, search and rescue, and air-to-air refuelling roles in support of operational and training activities at home and abroad.
- 440 "Vampire" Transport Squadron based at Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, fly that rugged work-horse of the Canadian North, the Canadian-designed and -produced de Havilland Canada CC-138 Twin Otter, in support of Canadian Forces activities across the North.
- The Detachment at Dundurn is home to a Canadian Forces Ammunition Depot, responsible for the storage and handling of military munitions and the only Canadian Forces site for the disposal of time-expired munitions as well as ranges and a manoeuvre training area.
- 1 Canadian Forces Flying Training School (1CFFTS) trains all Canadian Air Force Air Combat Systems Officers and Airborne Electronic Sensor Operators to "wings" standard, as well as Air Navigator students from several Allied Air Forces. In addition to using sophisticated ground-based simulator systems for training, 1 CFFTS instructors and students conduct their flight training aboard CT-142 Dash-8 navigation trainers operated by 402 "City of Winnipeg" Squadron.
- The Canadian Forces School of Aerospace Studies (CFSAS) runs post-graduate courses in specialized fields such as Aerospace Systems, Basic and Advanced Electronic Warfare and space operations. This School also conducts the Air Force officer Basic and Air Force Officer Advanced courses.
- The Canadian Forces School of Meteorology (CFS Met) is the training establishment for CF Meteorological Technicians (MOSID 00100). A lodger unit at 17 Wing Winnipeg, it provides basic and advanced courses in meteorology for Met Techs.
- The Canadian Forces School of Survival and Aeromedical Training (CFSSAT) conducts all aircrew Survival Evasion Resistance and Escape (SERE) training, designed to help downed aircrew survive to be rescued, and all "human factors" or aeromedical training of aircrew. The school is equipped with both a high-altitude hypobaric chamber and a hyperbaric chamber.