400 Tactical Helicopter Squadron (THS)
As a 1 Wing Squadron, 400 Tactical Helicopter Squadron (THS) is a lodger unit of Canadian Forces Base (CFB) Borden. Equipped with CH-146 Griffons, its mission can be divided into pre and post mobilization segments.
During peacetime , the squadron fills 1 Wing commitments by providing operational and training support to Land Force Central Area (LFCA), defence of national sovereignty, support to national taskings, support to peacekeeping operations, and secondary search and rescue and MAJAID.
In the unlikely event that the nation mobilizes, 400 THS will deploy all of its aviation assets, including support equipment, to augment 427 Special Operations Aviation Squadron in Petawawa. Those personnel remaining behind will form the core of a forces generation unit.
400 THS has an establishment of 237 personnel divided into 6 flights: Three Flying Flights, a Maintenance Flight, an Administrative Support Flight, and Squadron HQ. HQ Flight is a conglomeration of the Orderly Room, Finance Section, Medical Section and the 400 Squadron Pipes and Drums Band.
|400 Squadron Badge|
The badge of 400 Eagle Squadron depicts two tomahawks in saltire on an eagle's head erased. The eagle's head indicates the squadron's role as a reconnaissance unit with the Army while the tomahawks represent the type of planes with which it was once equipped.
PERCUSSURI VIGILES - "On the watch to strike"
400 Squadron is located at Canadian Forces Base Borden, approximately 80 km north of Toronto. The town of Angus is located right outside the base and the city of Barrie (population 110,000) is 15 kms away.
400 Squadron was formed on October 5, 1932 as No. 10 City of Toronto Army Cooperation Squadron.
It was renamed 110 Squadron in 1937. In recognition of the fact that it was the first Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) Squadron overseas during WWII, it was designated 400 City of Toronto Squadron in March 1940.
During the war, it flew Lysanders , Tomahawks , Mustangs , and Spitfires primarily in the armed and unarmed reconnaissance role. Later in the war, the Squadron also conducted air interdiction.
Immediately following the cessation of hostilities, 400 Squadron was the first RCAF Squadron to resume active flying , operating Harvard Mk IIBs out of RCAF Station Downsview.
The Cold War saw the arming of the unit with the Vampire Mk IIIs and then F86 Mk Vs Aircraft . Throughout the 60's and 70's, 400 City of Toronto Squadron, as part of 2 Air Reserve Wing, first flew the Expeditors and then the DeHavilland Otter .
In 1981, the conversion to helicopters began with the CH-136 Kiowa.
Canadian Forces Base Borden
PO Box 1000 Stn Main
Borden, ON L0M 1C0
1 Wing Public Affairs Officer
1 Wing Headquarters
Sergeant KS Smith CD Building
Canadian Forces Base Kingston
PO Box 17000 Stn Forces
Kingston ON K7K 7B4
Telephone: 613-541-5010 ext 8264