439 Combat Support Squadron (CSS)
The squadron is equipped with the CH-146 Griffon.
|439 Squadron Badge|
Argent in front of a fountain, a sabre-toothed tiger's head erased proper.
- Fortress Europe 1944
- France and Germany 1944-1945
- Normandy 1944
- Persian Gulf, Kuwait 1990
439 Fighter Bomber Squadron was formed on 31 December 1943 at Wellingore, England, incorporating Aircraft and personnel from 123 Army Co-operation Squadron. They spent the war in England, France, Belgium, The Netherlands and Germany. They disbanded at Flensburg, Germany, on 26 August 1945. They reformed at Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) Station Uplands on 1 September 1951 and went to 1 Wing North Luffenham on 4 May 1952, then went to 1 Wing Marville, France, on 1 April 1955.
They were deactivated between 30 November 1963 and 28 February 1964, reactivating on 1 March 1964 as 439 Strike/Attack Squadron. They moved with 3 Wing to Lahr, Germany on 1 April 1967, then to CFB Baden-Soellingen, Germany in 1971 as 439 Tactical Fighter Squadron. The squadron disbanded in November 1984 and reformed in November 1985 with the CF-18. They were disbanded at Baden-Soellingen on 15 May 1993 and reactivated shortly after at 3 Wing Bagotville as 439 Combat Support Squadron. The squadron is now equipped with the CH-146 Griffon.
During its history, 439 Squadron aircrew has flown these Aircraft:
- Hawker Hurricane
- Hawker Typhoon
- Canadair (North American) F-86 Sabre
- Canadair (Lockheed) CF-104 Starfighter
- McDonnell Douglas CF-18 Hornet
- CT-133 Silver Star
- Bell CH-118 Iroquois
- Bell CH-146 Griffon