419 Tactical Fighter Training Squadron (TFTS)
419 Squadron was disbanded on 25 June 1995.
419 Tactical Fighter (Training) Squadron was reactiviated 23 July 2000 to conduct Phase IV of the NATO Flying Training Canada (NFTC) program for Canada, Denmark, Italy, Singapore and the Royal Air Force. This program prepares future fighter pilots for training on CF-18 class aircraft and includes Air-to-Air and Air-to-Ground combat operational procedures. Since 2000, a number of other countries have signed on to the program and interest continues to increase.
Students in NFTC initially fly the CT-156 Harvard II before changing to the CT-155 Hawk in Moose Jaw and moving on to 4 Wing Cold Lake. At 419 Squadron, students continue to fly the Hawk in the Fighter Lead-in Program. Following graduation from the NFTC program, Canadian students join410 Tactical Fighter Operational Training Squadron at 4 Wing for initial training on the CF-18. International pilots return to their respective countries to continue their fighter pilot training.
NFTC is a joint program with training offered by the Canadian Air Force with Bombardier Inc providing the aircraft maintenance. The flight simulator is supported by Canadian Aviation Electronics (CAE).
The NATO Flying Training in Canada (NFTC) project was designed in a collaborative fashion by DND and an industry team led by the Bombardier Inc, with the express goals of both meeting CF requirements and attracting foreign participation. NFTC is designed as a collective or joint training program with CF and other nations' students receiving training and military instruction provided by all participating nations on a pro rata basis.
NFTC will provide both Canada and her allies with a pilot training capability for the next 20 years. It is quite likely that the program capacity will increase in the future when Canada's allies see the quality of pilot graduates from NFTC. Canada's outstanding reputation for pilot training dates back to World War II and the Commonwealth Air Training Plan, and is now poised to continue well into the twenty-first century with NFTC.
419 "Moose" Squadron's badge shows a Moose attacking, representing the squadron's nickname. The moose, considered a fierce fighter, is indigenous to Canada.
MOOSA ASWAYITA - "Beware of the moose"
419 Squadron was formed during World War II on December 14, 1941 at Mildenhall, Suffolk, England.
The Squadron was the first RCAF unit to be acquired by No. 3 Group of RAF Bomber Command. Its first Commanding Officer was Wing Commander John "Moose" Fulton, DSO, DFC, AFC, a native of Kamloops, B.C. It is from W/C Fulton's nickname, "Moose", that the squadron adopted its moose emblem.
419 Squadron initially flew the Wellington bomber, then progressed to the Halifax bomber, and eventually onto the AVRO Lancaster.
Moosemen flew a total of 4,325 operational sorties during the war from Mannheim to Nuremburg, Malan to Berlin and Munich to Hanover, inflicting heavy damage on the enemy. As a result of its wartime record, 419 Squadron became one of the most decorated units under the RCAF during World War II.
Pilot Officer Andrew Mynarski received the Victoria Cross, one of two awarded to the RCAF during World War II, for an act of heroism during a sortie over enemy-occupied France. In honor of P/O Mynarski, 419 Squadron set aside a special room in which some wartime squadron awards, achievements and mementos were kept.
After Japan officially surrendered, 419 Squadron was disbanded on September 5, 1945, ending its wartime service.
The "Moose" Squadron was reactivated on March 11, 1954 in North Bay, Ontario, flying the CF-100 Aircraft and was designated "419 All Weather Fighter Squadron". In June 1955, the Moosemen were awarded the "Steinhardt Trophy" for being the most efficient squadron in Air Defence Command.
In 1957, 419 Squadron moved to 4(F) Wing, Baden-Soellingen, Germany, becoming an integral part of our NATO force in Europe. The "Moose Squadron" once again served the country well, earning recognition throughout its tour in Germany. In December 1962, the squadron was disbanded for the second time.
On November 1, 1975, 419 Squadron was officially returned to active duty and re-designated "419 Tactical Fighter (Training) Squadron," flying the Canadian built CF-5 Freedom Fighter.
Under the command of LCol A.C. Brown, the squadron's primary task became the basic training of tactical fighter pilots.
The first course commenced training in January 1976, and in those days graduates proceeded onto a variety of fighter Aircraft such as the CF-104, CF-101 and, of course, operational CF-5 squadrons. Before deactivation of the squadron, these pilots proceeded to 410 Squadron for conversion to CF-18.
Not all of 419 Squadron's flying was dedicated to the students. Staff pilots and support personnel were given the opportunity to participate annually in Dissimilar Air Combat Training in the United States and occasionally in tactical exercises such as "Maple Flag" held in Cold Lake. These exercises were designed to keep our staff pilots current in the tactical roles they were tasked to instruct. The maintenance and administrative personnel gained further valuable experience as they adapted to new and challenging environments.
419 Squadron pilots and maintenance personnel faced new challenges with the arrival of the Avionics Update (AUP) CF-5 Aircraft from BRISTOL AEROSPACE. The update included a heads up display (HUD), inertial navigation system (INS), radar altimeter, and an instrument landing system (ILS). The improved CF-5 assisted 419 Squadron better prepare fighter pilots for the sophisticated CF-18 Hornet.
From the early days of its participation in World War II to the present, the "Moose" Squadron excelled in all areas of aviation. These achievements, during times of war and peace, were only possible through the dedication and professionalism of all "Moosemen" since December 14, 1941.