444 Combat Support Squadron (CSS)
444 Squadron is one of three combat support squadrons fulfilling a number of roles within the Air Force.
Currently equipped with three CH-146 Griffon helicopters, its primary mission is to provide rapid response to local emergencies during flight operations at 5 Wing.
They can also perform other secondary missions including Search and Rescue (like all CF aircraft).
In its utility role, the Wing supports a variety of taskings at the Wing such as range support, assistance to civil authorities and administrative airlift.
Depicts a cobra, ready to strike
STRIKE SWIFT STRIKE SURE
444 Air Observation Post Squadron formed at RCAF Station Rivers on 1 October 1947 and disbanded there on 1 April 1949.
They reformed as 444 Fighter Squadron on 1 March 1953 at RCAF Station St. Hubert and went to 4 Wing Baden (Germany) on 27 August 1953. They deactivated on 1 March 1963, reformed as a Strike/Attack squadron on 27 May 1963, and then disbanded on 1 April 1967.
The Squadron reformed at Canadian Forces Base Lahr in Germany 444 Tactical Helicopter Squadron on 1 October 1972 where they remained until disbandment in 1991.
In 1993, the squadron formed again at 5 Wing Goose Bay as 444 Combat Support Squadron equipped with the CH-146 Griffon.
444 Squadron has flown the following Aircraft:
- de Havilland CT- 120 (DHC-1) Chipmunk
- Auster AOP
- North American Harvard
- Bell 47d
- Canadair (North American) F-86 Sabre
- Canadair (Lockheed) CF-104 Starfighter
- Bell CH-136 Kiowa
- Bell CH-135 Twin Huey
- Bell CH-146 Griffon