426 Transport Training Squadron
426 (T) Squadron carries out between 80 and 125 serials of 25 different courses every year to generate operationally effective Air Mobility aircrew and technicians in support of Canadian Forces operations. The squadron also has dedicated personnel assigned to provide operational test and evaluation and system support to Air Mobility fleets. 426 (T) Squadron graduates approximately 420 personnel annually.
In 1995, the school underwent extensive renovations and acquired state-of-the-art computerized training aides and automated data processing equipment. The school became an extremely well equipped training facility.
In spring 2000, the Squadron completed an upgrade to its OFS-130H flight simulator. The changes included a new motion base, new visual system and upgraded avionics equipment. The Squadron also opened a new building housing the Cargo Compartment Trainer for the CC130H.
Anticipating the future needs of the Air Mobility community and the newly procured CC130J Hercules, the school expanded its facilities in 2012. The Air Mobility Training Centre (AMTC) was designed and built to accommodate the latest in aircrew and technician simulation, making it one of the most advanced training facilities in the world. The building serves as the home of 426 Squadron staff, whose job it is to train and prepare aircrew, technicians and aeromedical personnel for the exigencies of their employment on the CC130J, CC130H, and CC150 airframes.
The badge of 426 Squadron shows a thunderbird. The thunderbird is a mythical bird, the sight of which is supposed to cause havoc and death to those who perceive it. It was the name given by some Indians to the first airplanes they saw. The thunderbird signified disaster to those on the ground who incurred its displeasure.
ON WINGS OF FIRE
On 25 May 1945, the Squadron title changed to 426 Transport Squadron and disbanded on 1 January 1946. The Squadron reformed at RCAF Station Dartmouth on 1 August 1946 as a transport squadron.
The Squadron then moved to RCAF Station Lachine, Quebec, in March, 1947; to Trenton on 1 September 1959 and to St. Hubert in January 1962. It was disbanded at St. Hubert on 1 September 1962.
The Squadron reformed as 426 Transport Training Squadron on 03 May 1971 at Uplands. The squadron moved to Trenton in August of 1971 and remains there today, conducting training on the CC-130 Hercules.
- English Channel and North Sea 1943
- Baltic 1944-1945
- Fortress Europe 1943-1944
- France and Germany 1944-1945
- Biscay Ports 1943-1944
- Ruhr 1943-1945
- Berlin 1943-1944
- German Ports 1943-1945
- Normandy 1944
- Biscay 1943
- Vickers Wellington
- Avro Lancaster
- Handley Page Halifax
- Consolidated B-24 Liberator
- Douglas CC-129 (DC-3) Dakota
- Canadair North Star
- Canadair CC-109 Cosmopolitan
- de Havilland CC-115 (DHC-5) Buffalo
- Dassault Breguet CC-117 (Mystere 20) Falcon
- Boeing CC-137 (707)
- de Havilland CC-138 (DHC-6) Twin Otter
- Canadair CC-144 Challenger
- Lockheed CC-130 Hercules