430 Squadron is located at Canadian Forces Base (CFB) Valcartier, Quebec.
Equipped with CH-146 Griffons, the Squadron supports 5e Groupe Brigade Mécanisé du Canada .
The "Silver Falcon" Squadron has an interesting history . During the war years, it served as a fighter reconnaissance squadron. After the war, it reformed in North Bay as a Fighter Squadron, equipped with F-86 Sabres . It was eventually transferred to Zwiebrucken, Germany where it flew the CF-104 Starfighter.
With unification , it was assigned to CFB Valcartier as a tactical helicopter squadron and equipped with the CH-135 Twin Huey and CH-136 Kiowa .
On January 1 1971, the Squadron was reformed at CFB Valcartier as 430 Tactical Helicopter Squadron. With the phase out of the Twin Huey and Kiowa helicopters, the Squadron acquired the CH-146 Griffon helicopter in 1994.
Among its international missions was its role in the United Nations Mission in Haiti (UNMIH) . Equipped with five CH-146 Griffon helicopters and two Mi-8 (Russian civilian helicopters under contract in support of the mission), the Squadron provided the UN force with casualty evacuation, a day and night mission capability, and a medium airlift transportation capability.
The complete squadron history can be found on the Department of National Defence's Directorate of History and Heritage webpage.
430 Tactical Helicopter Squadron
PO BOX 1000 Stn Forces
Courcelette, QC G0A 4Z0