433 Tactical Fighter Squadron

Squadron Badge

A brief history of Squadron 433

Number 433 Squadron, nicknamed the “Ti-pics”, was formally established on September 25th, 1943 in Skipton-on-Swale, Yorkshire, England under the command of the Bomber Group. Although it was one of the last bombing squads to be formed, the operational state of the service Squadron was more than important as evidenced by the statistics of tonnage of bombs dropped, operational flight missions and heroism demonstrated by its members.

The Squadron received its first aircraft, the Halifax Mk III 3 in November of 1943 and performed its first operational mission, being dispatched to lay mines in the Frisian Islands area, on January 2nd, 1944. Between January 2nd, 1944 and April 25th, 1945, two thousand three hundred and sixteen missions were undertaken by the squadron and all these missions were successful. Despite their success, on October 16th, 1945, just two weeks after its second birthday, Squadron 433 was dissolved for the first time.

On November 15th, 1954, Squadron 433 was reborn in Cold Lake as one of nine CF-100 squadrons to defend Canadian airspace. However, in 1961 the Government decided to reduce the number of CF-100 squadrons from nine to five and Squadron 433 was dissolved its doors closed for a second time on July 31st, 1961.

On September 26th, 1969, the squadron was once again reformed as the “433 Tactical Fighter Squadron” (433 Squadron). The 80s marked the arrival of new challenges focused particularly on the offensive air support and tactical evaluation system. The 433 was then designated to receive all new Canadian platforms, the CF-18 fighters, ending the era of the CF-5 in Bagotville.

Besides being originally designated as one of two bases of NATO's Rapid Reaction Force, the 433 Squadron was entrusted a NORAD role in December 1988. The 433 Squadron members in Bagotville played an important role in the Gulf War conflicts, better known under the names OP FRICTION in 1991 and OP ECHO in 1999.

By September 2001, the 433 Squadron was actively participating with NORAD in the fight against terrorism through OP NOBLE EAGLE.

On July 14th, 2005, the standards of the Squadron were once again removed and put to rest almost 62 years after its initial formation.

Today is a great day for the Porcupines as the return of this famous Squadron again demonstrates that the 433 is a must for the Royal Canadian Air Force.

Historically ready for any situation, the Porcupines ("Ti-Pics") will in the near future, take the opportunity to show us once again that ... Who opposes it gets hurt!

Squadron Badge

Description: Blue disk behind a porcupine.

Significance: This squadron was adopted by the Porcupine District of Northern Ontario. The hurst or blue disk symbolizes the "hurt" done to the enemy and the sky through which the unit operates.

Motto

WHO OPPOSES IT GETS HURT