3 Wing Bagotville
3 Wing Bagotville is located in Quebec's Saguenay region. It provides general purpose, multi-role, combat capable forces in support of domestic and international roles of the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF). It also provides search and rescue missions.
Canadian Forces Base (CFB) Bagotville was created in 1942 under the aegis of the RCAF for the primary purpose of training fighter pilots and defending the strategic Alcan and hydroelectric facilities in the region.
Today, the goal of 3 Wing, under the operational command of 1 Canadian Air Division (1 CAD), is to protect Canada and Canadians, defend North America and promote peace and international security. Equipped with CF-18 Hornets, it is one of two fighter aircraft units in Canada. These aircraft have just been updated with new avionics systems for improved interoperability with our allies.
In order to fulfil its strategic role, 3 Wing can count on a professional organization consisting of several divisions. These include primarily the Administration, Logistics, Finance and Health Care divisions, which offer a wide range of support services to the Wing and its personnel. There is also the Operations Division, which oversees activities relating to the support and distribution of operational tasks, 12 Radar Squadron (12 RS), 3 Air Maintenance Squadron (3 AMS) and 439 Combat Support Squadron equipped with Griffon helicopters for combat support, as well as search and rescue.
3 Wing plays an important role in the community. Over 1,700 members and their families are active participants in the economic and social development of the region. The members also demonstrate outstanding leadership through their involvement in a variety of community, social and cultural activities.
The Bagotville Station was built in July 1942 to provide a training base for pilots and protect the Alcan and hydro-electric facilities in the area during World War II, hence its motto "Defend the Saguenay".
Closed at the end of the war, the station was re-opened in 1951 as a training base for the squadrons serving with the Canadian Division in Europe and to support the air defence operations of the newly formed Canadian and American forces that would become NORAD in 1958.
Following implementation of the Wing concept in the Air Force, 3 Wing, which in succession served Canada at Zweibrücken from 1952 to 1968 and at Lahr from 1988 to 1992, was reconstituted at Bagotville on 1 April 1993.
The first operational training Unit, initially named Bagotville Station, was built in 1942 in order to provide a training base for pilots of the RCAF during World War II. On top of pilot training, Bagotville Station had the mission to protect the Alcan and hydroelectric facilities in the area, hence its motto "Defend the Saguenay". When the war ended, Bagotville Station was officially closed and reopened on 1 July 1951 for the squadrons serving with the Canadian Division in Europe. Then, 413 and 414 Squadron were deployed in Europe on 7 March 1953. Subsequently, Bagotville was quiet up to 1954, to then became a permanent base for the CF-100 Canuck "all-weather" fighter of 432 and 440 Squadrons.
At that time, Bagotville was already an important link in the chain for the North American Air Defence, named NORAD in 1958. In 1957, 440 Squadron was posted to Grostenquin in France and replaced by 413 Squadron, which had been repatriated to Canada with its CF-100s. In 1961, both squadrons assigned to Bagotville were disbanded and the base was reassigned to its first primary mission, which was operational training, in addition to playing an air defence role with the creation of No.3 All-Weather Fighter Operational Training Unit.
The years 1961 and 1962, beginning of a new era, were marked by the arrival of 416 Squadron, equipped with new fighters CF-101 "Voodoos". In 1962, 416 Squadron was then moved to CFB Chatham and replaced by 425 Squadron (Alouettes), which was also equipped with Voodoos. In 1969, 433 Squadron "Porcupine Squadron" moved to Bagotville with Canadian-built CF-5s Freedom Fighters.
The previous year, No.3 All-Weather Fighter Operational Training Unit became 410 Squadron, which preserved its training mission in Bagotville until 1982 before to Cold Lake to convert to the new Canadian fighter, the CF-18 Hornet. In June 1982, 434 Tactical Squadron left Cold Lake with its CF-5s and moved to Bagotville until 1988, when it was transferred to Chatham. The arrival of CF-18s at 425 Squadron, in March 1985, marked the end of the "Voodoo" era. On 15 January 1988, 433 Squadron also converted to the new aircraft.
In spring 1991, following the closure of the Mont Apica radar station, 12 Radar Squadron moved to Bagotville in order to support the CF-18 training with tactical control services.
In 1993, CFB Bagotville was attributed the title 3 Wing and 439 Squadron "Tiger" was created with CT-133s Silver Star and "Iroquois" helicopters (replaced by the Griffon in 1996).
In summer 2005, 425 and 433 Squadrons were amalgamated in order to better meet the new defence policy, which is to make 3 Wing an expeditionary force. The amalgamated Squadrons preserved the name of 425 Squadron. The colours of 433 were officially removed in July 2005 during an official ceremony. With more than 1,600 employees, military and civil, the base of Bagotville is one of the most important employers of the area. It occupies a great place in the economic and social life of the Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean.
Our Contact Details
Canadian Forces Base Bagotville
CP 5000 SUCC BUREAU-CHEF
ALOUETTE QC G0V 1A0
Public Affairs Officer
All general or media enquiries, including all questions or suggestions regarding any section of the 3 Wing web site, can be addressed to the 3 Wing Public Affairs officer.
Link to External Site / July 27, 2016 Working together for the future
News Article / July 21, 2016 Mr. Gaston Bédard
Biography / July 20, 2016 The art of the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan
News Article / July 18, 2016 Chief of the Defence Staff addresses sexual misconduct in the Canadian Armed Forces
Link to External Site / July 15, 2016