Lockheed CP-122 (P2V-7) Neptune
Click on thumbnails for large image
This Aircraft, 24104, on 3 April 1968, flew the last operational Neptune mission.
Primarily an anti-submarine warfare Aircraft, 4117 was also equipped with smoke
generators and used for airshow demonstrations.
The Neptune served in Maritime Air Command from 1955 until it was replaced by the Canadair Argus in 1968.
This Neptune, 24102, served with 407 Squadron at Comox, B.C., before being sold in 1968 to a civilian owner.
When bought in 1955, all Neptunes came in this midnight-blue paint scheme.
This was changed several years later to a grey and white scheme. Neptune 24115, seen here,
flew with 405 Maritime Patrol Squadron until 1965.
A Lockheed Neptune on patrol over the picturesque coastline of British Columbia, Canada.
First flown in 1944, the Neptune was eventually equipped with both piston and jet engines--one
of the only Aircraft types ever to receive such a modification. The smaller jet engines are
visible on this Neptune, just outboard of the props.
Although the primary role of the Neptune was anti-submarine warfare, anti-shipping was also
considered an important ability. Here Neptune 24106 of 404 Maritime Patrol Squadron launches
a set of unguided rockets at a range target.
Neptune 24102 served with 407 Squadron at RCAF Station Comox from 1955 until 1968.
This picture clearly displays the Westinghouse J-34 jet engines in their underwing pods
as well as the surface-search radar in the belly dome.
Neptune 24120 of the RCAF's Maritime Air Command served from 30 March, 1955 until the
entirety of the 25 Aircraft fleet was struck off strength on 31 July, 1968. Neptunes
initially equipped 404 and 405 Maritime Patrol Squadrons operating out of RCAF
Station Greenwood, Nova Scotia and the Maitime Proving and Evaluation Unit also out
of Greenwood and later out of RCAF Station Summerside, P.E.I. Once the Canadair Argus started
becoming available for squadron use, the Neptunes were sent to equip 407 Maritime Patrol Squadron
on the west coast while the Argus was being used to equip the east coast squadrons.
Eventually this process of upgrading led to 407 Squadron also being equipped with the new Argus
and the RCAF retiring their Neptune fleet altogether.