Click on thumbnails for large image
The "Stranny" was also referred to as "The Whistling Bird Cage" due to its many brace wires.
Forty were built in Montreal, Quebec by Canadian Vickers and served in a multitude of roles
from anti-submarine warfare to passenger, mail, and freight carrying to search and rescue,
always compiling a reputation for ruggedness and reliability. The RCAF's first wartime mission
may have been flown by a Stranny on 10 September 1939. No. 908 of 5(BR) Squadron carried out a
patrol from Dartmouth, Nova Scotia.
The Stranny was a twin-engined general reconnaissance flying-boat with a crew of six,
three Lewis machine guns in bow, dorsal and tail positions and a maximum bomb-load of 1,000 pounds.
Known originally as the Southampton Mk.V, it was officially renamed in 1935. Twenty-three served with
the RAF from 1936 to 1940 while the forty with the RCAF served from 1938 to 1946.
Stranraer 913 (or QN*B) belonged to Number 5 (General Reconnaissance) Squadron, operating out of Dartmouth,
Nova Scotia. The unit was mobilized for war on 10 September 1939 and on 31 October was redesignated as
Number 5 (Bomber Reconnaissance) Squadron. During the course of the war the squadron moved several times:
to Gander and Torbay in Newfoundland, Yarmouth in Nova Scotia, and Gaspé in Québec as well as flying a
number of detachments in support of Eastern Air Command operations throughout Québec and the Maritimes.
Stranraer 914 of 5 Bombing Reconnaissance Squadron on anti-submarine patrol near Halifax.
This particular Aircraft survived the war and was flown as CF-BYH, finishing its days hauling freight in Tampa, Florida.
Supermarine Stranraer number 937 served from August, 1941 to March, 1944 with 117 Bomber
Reconnaissance Squadron, flying out of Sydney, Dartmouth, and Shelbourne, Nova Scotia and
Jericho Beach, British Columbia. In total, 40 Stranraers served in the RCAF from 1938 to 1946,
on both coasts, in the anti-submarine role.
Stranraer 937 was one of four belonging to 117 (Fighter) Squadron. The squadron was formed at Saint John,
New Brunswick on 1 April, 1938. Over the next five and a half years (until it was disbanded on 15 December, 1943)
the unit underwent three name changes, six geographic moves from coast to coast, and two disbandments prior
to its final one. In all, the squadron existed for approximately three years and eight months and flew
16 Catalinas and 9 Cansos, in addition to Stranraers.