In this Section
434 Combat Support SquadronMotto:
IN EXCELSIS VINCIMUS
(We conquer in the heights)
Argent upon waves of water Azure representation of the schooner Bluenose proper.
English Channel and North Sea 1943-1944, Baltic 1943-1944, Fortress Europe 1943-1944, France and Germany 1944-1945, Biscay Ports 1944, Ruhr 1943-1945, Berlin 1943-1944, German Ports 1944-1945, Normandy 1944, Rhine
434 Bomber Squadron formed at Tholthorpe, England, on 13 June 1943. They moved to RCAF Station Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, on 15 June 1945 and were disbanded there on 5 September 1945. They re-activated at RCAF Station Uplands on 1 july 1952 as 434 Fighter Squadron and went to 3 Wing Zweibrucken 7 March 1953. They deactivated on 16 June 1962, re-activated 8 April 1963 as a Strike/Attack Squadron and disbanded on 1 March 1967. 434 Operational Training Squadron formed at CFB Cold Lake on 15 February 1968. They changed names to 434 Tactical Fighter Operational Training Squadron on 9 September 1970, and again on 2 April 1976 to 434 Tactical Fighter Squadron. On 15 July 1982, the squadron moved to CFB Bagotville and then to CFB Chatham in July 1985. They disbanded on 1 June 1988. 434 Composite Squadron formed at CFB Shearwater on 4 July 1992, changed names to a Combat Support Squadron and moved to 14 Wing Greenwood in the summer of 1995 where they now fly the CC-144 Challenger and CT-133 Silver Star.
434 has flown the following Aircraft:
- Handley Page Halifax
- Avro Lancaster
- Canadair (North American) F-86 Sabre
- Canadair (Lockheed) CF-104 Starfighter
- Canadair (Northrop) CF-5 Freedom fighter
- Canadair (Lockheed) CE/CT-33 Silver Star
- Canadair CC/CP/CE-144 Challenger